Sunday, December 7, 2008

Air Quotes

To use "air quotes" while you talk is a common thing. In fact it happens quite often. Did you know it is recorded that people started using them in 1927, but it became widespread in the 1990s? That's what Wikipedia says anyway.

Why am I talking about this? I think it is funny what our kids pick up on. Kate has been trying these out. She said to me,

"Mom, the boys won't let me play because I'm not a 'boy'."

"Mom, I don't like 'mayonnaise'."

I 'm afraid she is much like Joey off of Friends when she tries to use them. Do you remember that episode? He, or she, does not understand when to use them. They copy what they see. It is quite funny, but it will hopefully be limited to the air quotes. I hope she has better judgment when it comes to other things.

7 comments:

Rach said...

Too cute. Your posts always brighten my day! What a darling picture of your family out in cold. I'm dreaming of a "white" Christmas!

Brittany Marie said...

Great new background! I do remember that episode of Friends. LOL

There is a website dedicated to unnessecary quotation marks. I've also found a cake blog that loves to show cakes that have been ruined by misspellings and unnessecary quotation marks. It's hilarious. cakewrecks.blogspot.com

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Brittany- I went to the cake blog! Thanks so much, I needed the laugh. I guess Kate could always get a job doing cales at a bakery.

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Umm... I meant ckaes. Maybe I should apply as well!

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

CAKES!! I meant cakes.

Spaces for Faces said...

So funny! I know some people that need some schooling in the use of 'air quotes'!

i said...

i think i need schooling bout air quotes! i don't get it. :) is it when you make quotes w/ your fingers??