Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Law of Consecration

Sunday always seems to be the hardest day for me. I never want to wake up, I'm late, my kids are awful during Sacrament meeting. I'm quite sure that people are laughing at me while I sit in my car, alone putting on my make-up, while the rest of my family walk in together. They are probably saying in their minds, "Come on, Woman, pull it together!" (actually I have really good friends, so I know it is my guilt speaking to me)





I was sitting in Sacrament, trying to deal with unruly children. Dustin was in another ward today. It was hard for me to concentrate on the speakers. I know they talked of Christmas and the Law of Consecration. I'm sure I chose not to listen to intently, I know all about both of those, right?





I came home feeling guilty for my attitude. I pulled out the Ensign and in it was a talk given by Elder Maxwell in 2002. It was about the Law of Consecration. I figured I should read it, so I could say I learned something today. What a great talk. Elder Maxwell always speaks way over my head. I'm simple folk. We don't use big words, but I love that he does. I have to always re-read and figure out what he is saying. I was so thankful that the Lord softened my heart to take a few minutes to read and renew my commitments with Him.





Our whole life should be dedicated to serving the way the Lord would have us serve. We are in great debt to Him. He only asks that we do as He would do, then all that He has can be ours. As Elder Maxwell puts it, "what an exchange rate!"



How grateful I am for the opportunity to live on this earth. I'm truly blessed. I am thankful for the chance to pay my debt, even if it will never be reconciled.

2 comments:

Brittany Marie said...

Larae you always have it together. And I am the late one sitting in the car putting on makeup. And I don't even have any kids! Hahaha

i said...

I totally put my make-up on when in the car. and had too cover up justin's mouth on sunday just in time to stop a VERY loud scream right during sacrament mtg. whew. fun times. thank goodness for the ensign.