Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cookin' With Mom

I have started a new thing with the kids. It has been really fun. You can tell by the pictures we have been doing it for a while -our kitchen is now redone. I let them be in charge one night a week. Each child takes a turn to pick what we are having for dinner and then gets to help make it. I don't let them pick something easy because I want them to learn some cooking skills. I need to be able to put them to work when they're older and cheese crisps and hot dogs are not going to cut it. The little girls have just been helping make desserts. They don't need to be exposed to a burner, that would be disastrous!

It has been fun talking and cooking with them. Plus, they are learning a life long skill.

cooking with Ryan. He was "too big" for the cute apron and hat!

Brownies with Kate and Becca.





Grace in her cute hat! Ready to help.

I would say out of all the kids, Aaron was the most excited. He loves doing new things and special time with mom. Here's too many more and a day I can send them into the kitchen and cook a meal all by themselves!

6 comments:

jilliebean said...

What a great idea! I love the chef's hat!

Kristin said...

More proof that you're an awesome mom! There's a lot to be said for being able to turn kids loose to do things you used to have to do. That's been a huge benefit to homeschooling this year--all the help I'm getting around the house (and it's absolutely necessary so I have time to learn w/them). They don't cook dinners on their own yet, but they do lunches a couple times a week. It's great!

thecustercrew said...

You guys look like you are having lots of fun. My kids love to help cook. Well most of them. Conner is the most "helpful". It takes a little longer, but it is worth it.

The Bach 10 said...

I do something like this too but just easy dinners for now!! Love the pictures!

Taryn said...

I think I'll be copying your idea of having the kids help in the kitchen! Maybe they'll pick up fractions sooner LOL!!!!HAA HAA HAA

Taryn said...

Here is the address to that museum that I blogged about. It's on the BYU campus 645 East 1430 North and the info # is 801-422-5051
Check out the site
http://mlbean.byu.edu/home/

GOOD FREE EDUCATIONAL FUN!