Friday, February 13, 2009

Dustin's Stupid Meter

Isn't there a difference between stupidity and forgetfulness?
*Nobody was called stupid in this process. The acts were deemed stupid.

If you start vacuuming and trip a breaker because your husband has the space heater plugged in, in the same room, is that considered stupid? What if after he goes outside, resets the breaker and comes back in, you decide you need to vacuum again and immediately trip the breaker again? Does that qualify as stupid? Just forgetful, right?



You are are starting dinner. You have left the oil on the stove to heat. You FORGOT about it and the whole pan bursts into flames. Considered stupid? What about if you take the pan and dump the burning oil down the drain, not realizing that in doing so you have added water to the fire and the little fire has now soared, singed the curtains, and blackened the wall? Stupid or forgetful?

So what, if every batch of cookies you make, the last batch is always burnt. You just always forget about the last batch. No stupidity there. A lot of people do it, just google burnt cookies.



Dustin and I have been having this discussion for some time. He deems the acts stupid. I say I'm just forgetful. It wasn't ME who dumped the oil down the drain. I only FORGOT about the oil. When I do things out of forgetfulness, Dustin has a meter that goes off indicating the level of stupidity. The farther the hand raises to the right, the stupider the act.




I am asking you to join the fight! Fight for Stupidity or Forgetfulness, I don't care. Just let your opinions be known. I say there are endless possibilities of forgetfulness. What do you say?

6 comments:

Natalie said...

I vote for Forgetful! That cookie thing used to happen to me all the time - I now only make two batches at a time since I realized it was caused by making the Taylor chocolate chip cookie recipe that makes about 10 dozen! Buy the dough at the store and never have enough and the complains will end!

Kristin said...

It's definitely not stupidity. It's called being a mom--so many distractions lead to forgetfulness. Those moments are a great time for Dustin to practice patience, tolerance, and compassion. :) He should feel lucky you give him lots of opportunities to develop those Christlike traits--they're like a ticket to heaven!

Brittany Marie said...

I'm not even going to tell you the stupid stuff I do. (Like falling out of my own -parked- truck. In my own driveway. In a dress.) Cause then Dustin will make fun of me.

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

Natalie- I'll have to try that trick, but it is usually me mad at myself. I love chocolate chip cookies.

Kristin- I do give him a lot of opportunities for sure! He's pretty patient with me. He will have earned that ticket!

Brittany- I will forever have a picture of you falling out of your truck in my head! lol! Sorry, Dustin knows, he read your comment before me!

thecustercrew said...

Two words. Convection oven. You can cook 3 pans of cookies at one time. I usually make the big recipe, but I only make up 3 pans, and freeze the rest of the dough for another time. I cook them all at the same time. Problem solved. I wish I could solve all of the other things I forget as easy. I am definately forgetful. I have my husband trained now. He just expects that I will forget, so he reminds me of things constantly. It is definately Mom brain. Too much going on all the time.

Spaces for Faces said...

FORGETFUL!!