Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Obituary of 'Sister Perfection'

Look at me, look at me, look at me now!
You could do what I do if you only knew how.
I study the scriptures one hour each day;
I bake and I garden. I scrub and I pray.

I always keep all the commandments completely;
I speak to my little ones gently and sweetly.
I help in their classrooms! I sew all they wear!
I drive them to practice! I cut all their hair!

I memorize names of the General Authorities;
I focus on things to be done by priorities.
I keep our home organized, clean and attractive.
I drop by with goodies and see the less-active.

I play the piano! I bless with my talents!
My toilets all sparkle! My checkbooks all balance!
Each week every child gets a one-on-one date;
I attend all my meetings (on time! Never late!)

I’m taking a class on the teachings of Paul,
But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all...

I track my bad habits ’til each is abolished.
I floss everyday! My toenails are polished!
Our family home evenings are always delightful;
The lessons I give are both fun and insightful.

I do genealogy faithfully, too.
It’s easy to do all the things that I do!
I rise each day early, refreshed and awake;
I know all the names of each youth in my stake!

I read to my children! I help all my neighbors!
I bless the community, too, with my labors.
I write in my journal! I sing in the choir.
Each day, I write "thank yous" to those I admire.

I exercise and I cook menus gourmet;
My visiting teaching is done the first day!
(I also go do it for someone who missed hers.
It’s the least I can do for my cherished ward sisters.)

I chart resolutions and check off each goal;
I seek each “lost lamb” on my Primary roll.
I can home-grown produce each summer and fall.
But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all...

I went back to school to update my degree.
My studying earned me a new PhD
I split with the Sisters who cover our ward
to spread that glad truth that the Gospel's restored.

I go to the temple at least once a week.
I make my girls' prom dresses- modest, yet chic.
My sons were all Eagles when they were fourteen!
My kids get straight A's! And their bedrooms are clean!

I have my own business to help earn some money.
I always look beautifully groomed for my honey.
I grind my own wheat and I bake all our bread.
I have all our meals planned out six months ahead.
I make sure I rotate our two-years’ supply.
My shopping for Christmas is done by July!
(It's out of the way early on for a reason.
I then can prepare for the real Christmas season.)

These things are not hard. It’s good if you do them.
You can if you try! Just set goals and pursue them!
It’s easy to do all the things that I do!
If you plan and work smart, you can do them all, too!

It’s easy!” she said…
...and then,
she dropped dead!

We are here today to say goodbye to our dear 'Sister Perfection'...

Okay, okay. To me she was not dear. It is because of her I had an enormous amount of guilt growing inside my mind. I have decided to...

This is my new book that I am reading and I love it! So many truths in it about the way we women tend to make guilt out of nothing! (Like me feeling guilty that I was buying this book rather than Pres. Eyring's, I almost bought both so feelings would be spared!?) I'm so excited!

For a while have been dealing with this idea of perfection. We as Latter-day women seem to think we are not okay, if we are not doing everything. I was totally frustrated and depressed. I was tired of being a mom, I felt I was not a very good one. I was tired of being a wife for the exact same reason! I just wanted to be plain Larae. I'm good at being her! Then I realized while being in mommy and wife mode for so long, I was forgetting how to be her. This book couldn't have come at a better time.

8 comments:

Audrey Taylor said...

I love authors who can put reality out there like that. Relating it to us and making us laugh. We ARE okay (not complacent), but we need to give ourselves a pat on the back and verbal reassurance more often. That's why we have each other, to edify one another. It's always easier to recognize others good-doings before we admitt our own. Larae, you are truly inspiring to me! I am so glad I know you and even MORE glad that I have the privilege of being related to you!

Kristin said...

That book just moved to my "must read soon" list. My mom had it w/her when she was here a couple weekends ago--I'll have to make sure she brings it and leaves it for me to read when she's here for Shayla's baptism. Thanks for the recommendation!

Taryn said...

I have to tell ya what keeps my heart in the right spot when I get overwhelmed. It's a little quote that I think I heard somewhere or maybe I just made it up- I don't remember "Do what you can, the best you can." I guess as women we want to do it all but in reality we can't do it all. However Larae from where I stand I hold you on a pedestal! I think you're a great mother and wife!

thecustercrew said...

1-I love that. I'll have to get that book. We all seem to continually reach for "perfection" but we need to remember there is only one thing we need to be perfect in: Our relationship with our Heavenly Father. If we do that everything else will fall into place.
2- I'm excited you told your kids. You guys will have so much fun. Bring your ownfood or drink we have done it everytime we have gone and it will save you a ton of money. As far as beaches. Don't go to Long Beach. It is close, but it is really dirty. Go to Redondo or Torrence. It is a little bit further away, but the water is nice and clear.
3- We got our gate fixed, so we can watch Ace if you still need us to. Just let me know.

thecustercrew said...

We have plywood that we can put in front of the gate so he can't get out through the bars.

jilliebean said...

I just read that book not long ago and I LOVED it! Have you read any others of hers? I totally recommend the husband one (the one about not strangling him) and the parenting one (the parenting breakthrough). Her books help me feel like I can do it and it is okay just to be me! I love books like that!

i said...

that poem cracks me up! enjoy!

BrieAnn said...

Someone read this poem at enrichment. I loved it as well. I need to get the book and read through it. This week has been a tough one for me - mixed with fatigue and a teething, not feeling so hot baby. I've added several extra prayers throughout the last few days.