Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Vegetable in Me

I believe it was Seinfeld who said that an onion has many layers. I have discovered that I...






am an onion.

What am I talking about? I have been trying to come up with a little something about myself for my Facebook account. I always write about me being a mom. While I love being a mom, it is only one layer to the many layered me! In this process I have really had to dig deep, okay not too deep, to explain to the world who I am. The world really wants to know.

Here's what I came up with:

I enjoy life. I believe it is the little things in life that bring the greatest joy. I like baby ears, feet, and hands. I like holding hands. Kissing my husband still makes my head spin. I am addicted to volleyball and chocolate. A smile is contagious, so I do it A LOT! I hate fruit. I don't like wet socks. I pity mean people. I don't drink, smoke, or swear. I'm a pretty positive person. My life motto has always been "be all you can be" (yes, I stole it from the army, those commercials were on all the time when I was little). I'm passionate about serving others. It's hard for me to admit I'm wrong. I'm forgetful (more on that coming soon). Sometimes I think I suffer from adult ADD. I procrastinate. I love snapshots. I like to write. I wish I were a little more like my mother. I love music, I got this from my mother. I watched The Sound of Music on my honeymoon. I wish I was more romantic. I'm learning to love words. I'm trying to be more creative. Being my best is sometimes exhausting.

So that's what I have so far. Not too deep. I like to keep things simple, life is already too complicated.

This procedure reminded me that motherhood is only part of who I am, even though right now it totally consumes me. I need to take a little extra me time and develop who I am, all of me. Right now I'm just a plain old onion. Soon, I hope to be blossomed, dipped in batter, and fried. Nothing is yummier than that!



3 comments:

Kristin said...

Cute post! I learned a couple new things about you from what you wrote about yourself. I think it's easier for people like me, who knew you in your pre-motherhood days, to already think of you as the blossomed, dipped in batter, and fried onion that you are. If one only looks at the top layer, then we moms are probably exactly that--just moms. But, I got to know you before you grew that motherhood layer, and in my mind, you've been an awesome blossom for a LONG time! :)

Audrey Taylor said...

I wish I was more like your mom too! You are mostly forgetful when you are pregnant.... is there something you are waiting to share with us?

Larae Taylor Merritt said...

No, nothing to share. We're done! I just have a story to share on how Dustin feels about my forgetfulness.