Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Chain of Events

We completed our first project today. I had the boys cut 25 strips out of construction paper. Then on each strip we wrote an activity. The point of it is, when they are bored, they can just go to their chain, tear off a link , and complete the task it has written on it.


The activities include: (I made up my own according to child and interests)

paint a self portrait
make a snack
call a friend
make your own charades game, have everyone play
create "Toe People"
make a sock puppet
make something out of Popsicle sticks
with a timer, list all the things you can think of that are a certain color before time runs out, then do all colors
write a letter to your grandmas
read a book, draw a pic of what you read
make a pillow
make up a dance routine, teach it to someone
make a macaroni picture
with a timer list all the animals you can think of, then do more categories
draw a picture of what you would do with $100
write a tongue twister
make a band instrument
put on a fashion show using your stuffed animals
write a poem of a family member
draw a picture of your favorite snack
make a puzzle
style your hair in a new way
make up a new game
sing the "Star Spangled Banner", what other songs can you sing? put on a concert
write your very own song
plan a service project, complete it
have a water balloon fight
organize a closet for your mom
complete a list of things starting with letters A-Z
make a story using magazine clippings
make a scavenger hunt for everyone
hold a spelling bee
have a water gun fight
have a paper airplane race with everyone
make up a word and definition for it
play with a water station, find things for the water
make a list of things you are good at/like about yourself, share it
decide on where you would go if you could go anywhere in the world, ask mom if you can learn about it on the web
visit the library

I know I could think of more things if I had the time and QUIET to concentrate. I tried to do things that they could do all by themselves, but when they pick one where I'm needed, I promised myself I would stop whatever I was doing and make them my priority. Sometimes that is hard for me when I really want to get some things done. I have a feeling we will be making a few of these!

5 comments:

i said...

Fantastic! kindof like a summer advent. great idea!

Shauna said...

Awesome ideas! I think I might have to steal some! :)

thecustercrew said...

That is such a good idea. My kids are always complaining that they are bored.

Rach said...

You are awesome. Can't wait to make our own chain. Thanks so much for all the wonderful ideas!!

ChicChat said...

That is such a great idea! I'm so glad I have smart friends that I can steel ideas from to use with my own kids. Thanks!