Sunday, June 28, 2009

Let Me Explain...

I know in our religion there are a few things that seem weird to those not of our faith. It might be hard to explain things to them. I think Baptisms for the Dead fall in this category.

Today after church Grace came to me and was really confused. "Mom, why do we do baptisms for the dead?" I explained to her that in order for someone to live with Heavenly Father again, they had to be baptized. So, if someone dies with out being baptized we do it for them.

She looked at me and said, "Ewwww! I think that is the grossest thing ever! Why would they do that?" I stopped for a minute and had to process what must have been going through her mind. Then it hit me!

"Oh, no! Honey, we don't actually baptize dead people! If someone needed to be baptized, I would be baptized for them. Instead of saying my name they would use the dead person's name." I had to give her a few examples, then she got it!

I wonder how I reacted the first time hearing the words, 'Baptism for the Dead'?

2 comments:

BrieAnn said...

I think baptizing for the dead is one of the main contributors to people thinking the temples are used for funerals as well as weddings.

Brittany Marie said...

LOL!
I recently read this interview with Larry King and he said something like even though he doesn't believe in God and that he thinks religion is bad, he knows that since his wife Shawn is LDS that "they are going to just baptize [him] at [his] funeral anyway."

Riiiight. I'm glad he's so knowledgable about religion.