Friday, June 26, 2009

Wacky Channel 20

Here in Salt Lake, on cable, they have channel 20. Has anyone ever watched it? It happens to be the station that broadcasts all the anti-Mormon shows. Those type of shows exist, can you believe it? Okay, so I am naive.

Dustin has told me not to watch the channel, but I always stop and see what they are talking about as I channel surf. Usually I roll my eyes and change the channel, but not last night. The lady was talking of polygamy- she helps woman escape from it, I guess. Anyway, she just really bugged me! She was taking their doctrine and our doctrine and rolling it all together. She was accusing us of replacing the doctrine that Christ is the Savior, with, what saves us is "the new and everlasting covenant." BTW, she referred to plural marriage as the "new and everlasting covenant", so in order to be saved we HAVE to live the law of plural marriage. She was so confused! I was so mad!

So, I wrote her- it was too late to call into the show. I contemplated not doing it, but I just kept thinking of how we were counseled to correct people when they are misinformed. She was really misinformed! I was nice. I just let her know that she was telling fallacies about our beliefs and that I felt it was wrong.

She had quite a few things that were wrong. Did you know we don't consider the Manifesto as revelation? No, apparently Pres. Woodruff considered it a good idea, so he came up with it. And we, the mainstream Mormons, are actually the church that apostatised from the doctrines of Joseph Smith, we don't practice the law of polygamy, and he did. We did this because we feel that the current prophet's words are much more important than the previous latter-day prophets! I wanted to scream!

I can't believe people watch this and call into the show with crazy things to say! One caller called to let everybody know that Joseph Smith had false revelations. The example she gave was in D&C 125. He prophesied that there would be a city in Iowa called Zarahemla . That's the way they interpret it, but that was not what he was saying. It was a promise that if they kept the commandments and did all they were asked, the Lord would establish a city named Zarahemla . And He did. Read about it here. When all the saints moved west those settlements (there were others) were abandoned.

Anyway, I'm just rambling now. I was just really upset. I'm over it now, but thought I would make a post so if people come across it they might know that just because someone says something is true, it doesn't mean it is. That was the whole point of my letter to her. I told her I hoped her guest would be making and appointment to talk with a representative of the LDS church to ask their opinion on his concerns. I don't get why people would go to someone other than the person with whom they have questions about. It would be like going to Dustin and asking him how I feel about things or what I believe. Why not just come to me and ask me?

2 comments:

Taryn said...

Wowwy I'm appaled! That is definatley the advesary at work. I've never watched channel 20 and now I won't ever. It does however make me sad for those who do and get mis-informed about the LDS church.

Shauna said...

Good for you to write her... We all need to stand up for what we believe!