Thursday, April 9, 2020

Maundy Thursday: Jesus Holds Passover, Washes Disciples' Feet, Institutes The Scarament, And Prays In Gethsemene

 I have read the stories of Easter many times. I just have never read them, or studied them, in sequential order. I have never heard of the term “maundy.” And I couldn’t have told you all that took place on the night before Jesus’ arrest. However, Him washing the feet of his disciples is one of my favorite stories. I can’t think of a more loving service to the ones he loved and cared for. These men walked in sandals on dirt roads every.single.day. I’m certain their feet were sweaty and had cuts. I’m sure they were calloused. I would not want to touch them!! And he washed all 12! Even the feet of the man who would betray him. 

After washing their feet, He gives them the bread and wine, symbolic of his body and blood. He also gives a new commandment to “ love one another as I have loved you.” Wash each other’s feet, take care of one another is what I imagine he was telling them. He teaches them of the gift of The Holy Ghost. He then goes to The Garden. There he pleads to His Father for another way, but says “not my will, but thine be done.” He does what’s asked of Him. He bleeds from every pore because of what he has taken upon himself. An angel is sent to comfort and strengthen him. And when all this is done, when he finished taking all the sin, pain, and sorrow that will ever be known to us, he returns to his sleeping disciples, and comes face to face with the man who betrayed him and the multitude that has come to arrest him. When Peter cuts the ear off of one of the men, He takes the ear and heals it. They still bind Him. They still take Him.










0 comments: