Friday, September 19, 2008

This Thing Called Aging

I was looking for my Oil of Olay face scrub, the one that exfoliates and helps me to look younger. I couldn't find it! I was a little upset. I feel I NEED it, I am starting to get some fine lines under my eyes and on the sides. Not being able to find it, I had to settle to wash with my Cetephil.

It got me thinking those whole two minutes while I washed. Do I really need it that bad? What's wrong with getting older? Everybody's doing it! I feel 15 on the inside, so I can't look that old. Right?

I have been obsessed with these thoughts lately. Isn't getting older a good thing? When we are little, we can't wait to be a teenager. That is all I hear from Grace and Kate, "Mom, when I'm a teenager...". Then you are a teenager and can't wait til you graduate and go to college, or get married and have kids. When all of those have happened, you can't wait to be an Empty Nester! The goal is to get OLDER!

If so, then why do I worry about appearing older? Gray hairs are starting to come. I have toyed with the idea of breaking down and finally paying to have my hair dyed - not yet!

Have I not earned these wrinkles on my face, my stretch marks on my belly? Why can't I wear them with pride? Be like the men who brag of their battle wounds. I could say something like,
" Yeah I got this one from 8 hrs of labor. Oh, and this wrinkle on my face here, I got that from staying up all night with my babies." Each wrinkle, gray hair, or any aging sign for that matter, should come with a tag letting us know why we earned it. Kind of like a Certificate of Achievement because honestly that's what they are.

I think of all the "old" people I know. They are wonderful, good individuals that I admire. They are people I try to emulate. I view them as wise, talented, beautiful beings! They are not old wrinkly folks who need to invest in more anti-wrinkle cream. I want to be like them!

So, maybe it is time to just age gracefully. I wouldn't have to buy more exfoliating cleanser, right? I'll save myself a few dollars. Maybe, we'll see.

By the way, I did find my cream. Dustin has been using it! He is trying to appear younger for his cop testing. He is afraid of looking like the oldest guy there, as if that is a bad thing. It might give him an advantage. He needs to read my blog!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

That is SO true! I got about 4 gray hairs this past year. I've had one of them for quite a while and would pull it out. After finding a few more, I decided to just leave them. Ashley and Brittany each straightened my hair for me once over the summer. They both saw and commented on the grays and asked why I didn't pull them out. I told them I didn't want to because I'd earned them. Wrinkles and gray hairs aren't so bad, especially if we think like you do about the reasons we may have gotten them! When I get enough grays, I probably will turn to hair dye because I might look better that way, and we all like to look our best. Hopefully, that will not happen for 20 more years.

Mhari said...

I have had to break down and start paying to have my hair dyed already and I'm only 27. It was a very sad day. And I'm addicted to my MK microdermabrasion so that I can keep the wrinkles off. I can't let go I'll admit I'm addicted. I can't even leave the house without at least foundation, lip gloss and mascara on. Sad huh?

thecustercrew said...

We really should be celebrating over each gray hair, because it means we lived through one more hardship that didn't kill us off. Watch out. I got a lot of gray hair when Kyle was in the academy. I must say I earned every single one. I tried that oil of olay clenser. I felt it did make me look younger, but only because it made me break out like a teenager. I hope you have better luck with it.

Audrey Taylor said...

I can't wait to get older and have saggy boobs.... oh wait, I already do!
At least the wrinkles are from the noble callings of motherhood and being a wife instead of smoking.
At the temple yesterday the sealer told my brother and his wife that God designed us to grow old. So, you are doing exactly what you are suposed to be doing and you are beautiful. Look at your mom. She is a very lovely-looking woman. I'm sure you'll turn out just fine :)