Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What I Miss About Las Vegas...

I know some people have a problem with the lifestyle that is portrayed there, but honestly there are a lot of good people there. My family to name a few (and that's quite a few)! I really do get homesick. I have always loved being at home. There was such a peace in our home. I know that might sound crazy with so many people living there, but it's true. I miss seeing my mom everyday. Sometimes I just sit and wonder what that would be like... I think I would love it. My home was a place I always felt safe. Even though we were not a touchy-feely family( we don't hug and scream and all that nonsense when we see each other, we like our personal space), we love one another.

I miss hanging out with my sisters. When I'm here in UT I seem so happy and content, but honestly I miss my sisters. I wish I could call them up and go shopping, or just hang out with them and let our kiddos play. It stinks growing up!

The other thing I miss about Vegas is all the opportunities I had to share the gospel. You all know how I have had that burning desire lately. I have been praying to find someone to share "the good news" with , but my prayers have not been answered yet. It's really hard here. Our neighborhood, you're either active, or less active. I know there are a few families, but I don't have the opportunity to interact with them. I am not that comfortable with just knocking on their door and letting them know I have something great for them. Who knows maybe I should try it! It would be an experience that's for sure.

The UT culture is so different. I don't mean in a bad way (sorry my UT friends who read this blog). I remember visiting here from Vegas for baby blessings for my older brothers and when I would say where I was from, I honestly remember hearing GASP!!

One huge thing is the fact in Vegas I was different. I lived very different than a lot of my friends. That sparked their curiosity. That would lead to gospel conversations. I feel the same as everyone else here (again, not a bad thing I love you all Camille, Rachael, Jayleen, Jill, Shauna, Trina, Tami, Jennifer, sisters-in-law, mother-in-law, and anyone else that I may not know reads this). I don't know. I just like to stand out a little. Maybe I'm being too whiny. I have 5 fabulous children that I adore. I love my husband dearly. And I do have the best in-laws ever! I should count my blessings!

-How's that for a mood change? PMS!? TMI, I know!

5 comments:

Darrell and Alissa said...

I totally understand! I have NO desire to move back to Las Vegas, but wish everyone lived so much closer to us! It's so hard sometimes- friends are great and I love them, but sometimes you just need family! Why didn't we take advantage of the fact that we lived only a few blocks from each other?! I know why- I was kind of having issues then- I don't think it was fun for anyone to be around me then. Post partum that seemed like it would never go away!
Tell Dustin they have a great police dept here and I KNOW if he came and saw what it was like here- he's really like it! I'm not kidding that people call where we live Little Provo- it's great!
Hope your day is better- just know your sisters wish the same thing!!

Jayleen said...

I can really understand where you are coming from. I grew up in Wyoming and although I had my group of LDS friends I also had non-lds friends too. I always thought Utah was so great growing up because everyone was LDS, but when you have that burning desire it's hard to share the gospel here. When Jeff and I got married we moved to California and the people that I worked with were not lds and I always feel really guilty about not being more open about the gospel to them and now I REALLY have that burning desire to share with them more than ever and I can't because they are too far away. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Shauna said...

I have too felt alot of these same feelings. I sometimes start to feel sorry for myself and get a little jealous of people who have their family so close, sisters, parents, whoever. I miss my hometown too! Well, I moved around alot so I don't really have a "hometown" but where my parents still live, I call home. Having lived in Ut for more than half my life, living outside of Ut is quite different and I think everyone should experience it at least once! Thanks for sharing your feelings Larae! Oh and we have some very good friends who had never lived anywhere but Ut, and they moved to Las Vegas. It has been a very positive thing for their whole family and they love it. And speaking of sharing the gospel, maybe it will be a little easier for us here when we have the open house for the new temple!

The Bach 10 said...

I would love to go shopping with you anytime. Tayler could sit for us while we take an hour or so and get away!

I love living in UT. I love our house. I love our children. I love all the friends I have met and am trying harder to give myself more time to be with friends. Call me anytime!!

thecustercrew said...

I agree. You definately live too far away and so does Alissa. I think both of you need to move back!!! What were you ever thinking moving away. Dang those husbands of yours. jk
You just needed to marry into a family where your husband wants to get away from him family too .
But, we definately love Dustin. We have lots of Police career opportunites here and they pay really well. I know what your thinking, my husband a police officer in Las Vegas, NO WAY! We have friends that are police officers here and they have never had to use their gun. I really do like it here. I know people think your crazy when I say that. We are definately here to stay. Well let's face it. It took my husband 13 years to get hired on the fire dept. I'm not going through that again!!!!!!!
PS We need to do a sister day when everyone is here for thanksgiving and I think we should plan some others where we plan to meet somewhere for the day or something like that. We miss you guys too!!!
I love blogging so we can keep in touch beter.