Sunday, September 21, 2008

Update on Dustin

Yesterday, Dustin went and took the Physical part of the test. He did very well. He said that he was not at the very top, but he did better than the average guy. I'm glad he did so well. He can do 45 push ups straight, 38 REAL sit-ups (not crunches) in 1 minute, he has a vertical jump of 23 inches, and can run a mile and a half in 11 min and 27 sec. Way better than me! It took them three hours to do this part because 110 men came to try to get on.

Since he passed that part, he had to stay and take a 3 hr suitability test. He said the first two parts were pretty easy. They had to watch some clips on different situations and say what they would do and what they thought. Then they had to write up a police report of their own after watching the situation on video. The last part he is a little scared of. It was on some type of law. He had to put words in the blanks where he thought they might fit- he had never heard of the law and had a hard time with the words. I think he probably did fine. We are hoping and praying!

Even though we are taking quite a pay cut, I feel really good about our decision! Dust has always wanted to be an officer, but I kind of squashed the matter when it came up. It wasn't till lately he expressed some concerns he has that I thought maybe this is the job he was meant for. I was really scared about safety, money, things like that.

One day while I was driving and thinking about the matter, I had such an overwhelming feeling of love fill me and the words, "He will be great. He will move up fast, he will succeed," come to my mind. I started crying. How can I argue with that! I know what the Spirit feels like! I have felt peace from that moment since.

I am so grateful that Our Heavenly Father is so aware of what we are feeling and going through. I know He knows what is best for us and the path that is right for us. We just have to have the faith to trust Him and follow His lead.

Keep Dustin in your prayers. I know he is so nervous. He wants this sooo bad. Thanks!

6 comments:

thecustercrew said...

Good Luck Dustin. I'm sure you'll do great. We definately know what it is like to finally get the job you feel like you were meant to have. Larae don't worry. I spent a lot of years worrying and then when he finally got hired you realize their #1 priority is saftey. They will train him right and if you live right the money will always be enough.

Rach said...

Yeah for Dustin for following his dreams, and yeah for Larae for supporting him through it. We'll definitely keep you guys in our prayers!

Audrey Taylor said...

Larae,
Your husband is in excellent shape! Good for him, no wonder he can still play basketball with your boys when he's had a long, exhausting day.
Also, you have amazing faith. Thank you for sharing the spiritual prompting you recieved. If you feel that way about it, so do we. And we will pray for him.
Love,
Audrey

The Bach 10 said...

Awesome Job!! We know you are doing what is best for your family! Good Luck!

Taryn said...

Way to go Dustin! I'm proud of you!!! Thanks Larae for all of your support and love! I know that Heavely Father will protect him and watch over your family.

Kristin said...

I'm glad that all went well for Dustin. Thanks for keeping us updated about it! We'll pray his dream comes true. I can only imagine how much comfort came to you from that spiritual experience. It's interesting how those experiences sometimes come while driving--I've had that happen in the car several times. You're an amazing example of a supportive, unselfish wife. Thanks.