Saturday, October 4, 2008

Just Another Normal Sat...or so I Thought!

I was sitting at my computer during conference sessions and heard a knock at my front door. I was tempted not to answer it and just keep my lazy self in the chair. Something told me I should answer the door. Since I'm home alone, I looked out the window first. To my amazement there were 3 cop cars surrounding my house! I opened the door and my neighbor, Don, from across the street was there. He was out of breath and couldn't speak well, but this is what I heard, "There is a kid in a black stocking cap going around breaking into cars. These guys (the cops) are out looking for him. I just saw him jump into your back yard!"

I could feel the fear and panic begin to creep in. I said, "Thanks Don, I'll go lock my back door." My back door wasn't even locked. I always keep the front locked, but the kids go in and out so much I gave up trying to patrol the back door.

I ran to the door, pulled down the charlie bar, and peeked out the curtains. I wanted to make sure he was not still back there. I was a little jumpy! I was startled by an officer turning the corner. It was a sobering experience to see him with his weapon drawn, IN MY BACKYARD! He walked to the side of the house. I could tell he had just found the shed. I thought, "Oh, my goodness he's in our shed!" I waited to see him reappear. It seemed like forever. He took so long I couldn't watch.

I came back to the window and he was looking over the fence. Whew! He was not in the shed. He came back to the front of the house. I opened the door and could hear him talking. They believe he was jumping fences. That was somewhat of a relief to me. Chances are he's gone and will get away from here as far as possible. I'm still pretty nervous though.

We are staying put for the afternoon. I don't want to chance leaving my home empty. Grace has devised a plan to catch the "bad guy." She wants to camouflage a net and a place jewelry inside it. When they go for the jewelry we would pull the net and catch them! I believe that came from an episode of Suite Life.

How grateful I am right now for the safety and protection we received from Heavenly Father. I pray for it everyday. I think if this kid really wanted something he could have turned violent and entered my home through an open door. I'm thankful he kept on going. I hope all my other neighbors were blessed in the same manner.

I'm thankful for the opportunity it gave as a teaching lesson to my children. Ryan was "really freaking out." I let him know it is times like this we are able to pray and ask for comfort. I let him know I have done it and feel calm. It also gave me the chance to talk about keeping our doors locked and being careful of strangers.

How grateful I am for a watchful neighbor. Who despite his own safety came to my house to warn me. I thought it a little funny that it was him who knocked on my door and not the cops. I know he was aware Dustin was out of town and I was home alone. I'm grateful that Heavenly Father was watching over us and protecting us.

6 comments:

Rach said...

I'm glad you guys are okay. I love Grace's plan. It just might work... Now if only Dustin didn't take the camouflage net with him :) Know that you're in our prayers for your care and safety--especially while Dustin is gone.

Shauna said...

Wow, that's scary! Glad everyone is safe.

BrieAnn said...

Oh my!!! I'm glad you didn't see him so you won't have to have that visual of someone in YOUR space. I love knowing that people are still looking out for each other. Go Don!!!

thecustercrew said...

We had something similar happen one night. I kept hearing the police helicopter. I decided to look out the window. It was in our old house with the rolladen shutters. I peeked out the little holes in the slats and I could see the cop cars cars whizzing by. I just watched for a minute and all of a sudden this guy runs over to my window and stops for a minute to catch his breath and then proceeds to run the opposite direction the police cars were going. I totally freaked. Kyle was home but he was sleeping and we all know how he sleeps. I kept slapping his leg trying to wake him. I ran through the house and put down all of the shutters and made sure all the doors were locked ( this is Vegas so they were already locked). I turned out all of the lights and just sat in the hallway with the kids. I kept them there by playing a game, but I think they could tell I was freaked out. Thank goodness we haven't had any other experiences like that one.
How scary that Dustin wasn't home. I'm glad you guys are all ok.

Darrell and Alissa said...

Holy freaking crap!! I would NOT have handled that very well! I so would have left my house empty! I'm quite the chicken though! Glad everything was ok! I told the girls about it and Lexi and AShlee thought Grace was so brave and smart for remembering the Suite Life happenings- they think she's kind of a hero right now!!

Kristin said...

WOW! What a crazy, scary experience. I'm so glad you were watched over and that your home and family were protected. That's also great you've found some (easy) meals that all your kids love--it's even better when they're easy to make! One of the only good things when Dave is gone is that I take a little dinner prep vacation and make easy stuff.