Thursday, October 16, 2008

Likening the Scriptures Unto Ourselves

One of the highlights of Thursday morning, for me, is the paper. Why? The Mormon Times section is published, I enjoy reading it.

Today it really hit home for me. Scott Card is one of the writers. He always has his own little section where he shares thoughts and feelings and different topics. Today he was writing about how the world today portrays and glorifies a life of ease. If you would like to read it click here.

He referred to the pride cycle in the Book of Mormon. I never thought of likening that to our day! (I KNOW YOU GUYS ARE SAYING, "WHERE HAS SHE BEEN") We are at the top of the pride cycle and on our way down. No wonder our nation is in such chaos, that's the only word I can think of to describe it!

The quote I really like out of it I'll share with you. he said:

"Wickedness is a luxury, a parasite; it thrives on excess and breathes the air of idleness."

I took a big gulp when I read this. I believe I am very guilty of the "I" word at times. I choose an easier path out of convenience for me. I used to visualize and anticipate the day I would inherit my eternal mansions and glory. How I saw myself sitting back and relaxing without a care in the world. How naive. Idleness is not a characteristic of our Heavenly Father! It is associated with Satan, one of his great tactics to enroll life-long members of his club.

I thought how I need to change this flaw. How can I change my thinking? How can I make my days more productive?

I think I am guilty of what I want to call the "mom syndrome." Maybe some of you suffer from it, maybe some of you don't, if you don't consider yourself lucky. I sometimes get so caught up in what I can offer this world I start to resent being a mom at times. After wiping up pee, completely scrubbing the house spotless, and literally giving all of myself at times, I start to question what I am doing. Am I really making a difference? Does anybody really care that Larae Merritt just cleaned her house for the 5000th time, that she made a paper doll with her girls, that she helped her boys build a fort, or SLAVE over the stove to make her husband a meal every night? After answering no to these questions I seem to shut down, I get lazy. I get an attitude that what I do doesn't matter anyway, so why try.

"How cunning the [tactics] of the evil one." That's all I can say! Satan would have me believe that no one cares. My family cares and isn't that what this life is all about? Who cares what the world thinks of me! Satan would have me think I'm not successful without the recognition and fame.

So, then I thought of my good friend, Jill. She had a post a month ago about making every moment count. She told how the missionaries make a goal for every hour. She had been doing it as well. I think I need to honestly and whole-heartedly try it. In doing so I will also have to have an attitude adjustment. I will follow the counsel of Our Prophet and "find joy in the journey." That's all I can do. Another friend, Julie, just posted how she has been viewing tasks in a different light and it has really helped her. I'm so glad she loves laundry! What a good example to me.

So now that I am heading down on my own pride cycle, now it's time to be humble and do what I'm supposed to. Good attitude and all!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Another AWESOME post! I've been thinking so much lately about the moments life is made up of and how we need to cherish and honor each one. It's been on my mind because I purchased an awesome CD about it at www.bluerosecommunications.com. I think it's only $12. It's called "Moments: Surrenduring to Joy" and is an audio talk/presentation. I can totally relate to your "mom syndrome" explanation. Thanks for sharing your great insights.

thecustercrew said...

I can totally relate to the mom syndrome. In the last 2 weeks, twice I have had to leave right after making dinner. When I came back there was no dinner left. I couldn't believe it. Hello, I slaved and made the dinner, with no help I might add. When I got home it was all gone. It made me feel like a slave as I was eating my lovely PB&J dinner. I never said anything to anyone. Then last night, I didn't leave I was just feeding the baby, when Kyle asked me if I had eaten. I was so excited that he actually remembered that I hadn't eaten. You just have to find joy in the journey, no matter how small the accomplishment.