Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It Never Is too Late

The news has been rather disheartening lately. I have found my self upset after reading it. For example in one paper I found quite a few articles all dealing with religion. I didn't feel they were uplifting, maybe I'm wrong.

The first article I came to was dealing with the fact that a man was suing God. He is a Nebraska State Senator. He was trying to prove some dumb point about everyone having access to the courts, I don't know I didn't understand his thinking. He is a man who skips morning prayers and criticizes Christians.

The next article in big, bold letters read, "Trial starts in killing of LDS wife". This man was angry that his wife had joined the church and was trying to make him join. He didn't support her decisions that had to do with church, so he killed her and her 11 year-old son!

The last article took place in Rome. (I'm so happy there is going to be a temple there) Women "marched across the Tiber River." They were upset because the Catholic church bans women from the Priesthood. They feel it is "sexist, unjust." They have been ordained priests, but the church says any "women taking part in ordinations will be excommunicated."

All these articles bugged me! I feel like righteousness is being attacked at every side. It made me feel as if it was now the minority. There is a lot of work in spreading the gospel. How is it ever going to be done?

Then the Saturday paper came. The Church News is always in it. I received a new hope. I found some very uplifting stories.

Did you know there is a little old lady in AR who is 104 years old and she was baptized only a year ago? I was so tickled (I sound like my mom) by her. She stumbled upon the church last Easter Sunday. She went in, introduced herself, and was baptized a short time later. I guess it is never too late! I love the Church News, it is always so positive!

Then I remembered the words of our Prophet in Conference. I had been praying lately to be able to share the gospel with someone. I felt like my prayers hadn't been answered. Then he said this, "I urge you to pray for the opening of those areas, that we might share with them the joy of the gospel." I felt like that was an answer for me. So I have been asking for that instead. I'm still aware that I must share it with others, but I feel this is what the Lord wants of me right now.

As we share the gospel, people's hearts will be softened. Righteousness will be the majority once again, although I really think it probably still is. It just doesn't feel like it. I just need to believe in the power of prayer.

3 comments:

Audrey Taylor said...

Uh oh, Ben is in trouble. I asked him if he had talked to his brothers and sisters. He told me he emailed everybody. I'm so sorry you didn't know.

Audrey Taylor said...

Those articles don't even make sense. A man's wife can't be baptised without his permission. I think the articles are designed to depress people. I'm glad you haven't lost hope. I heard somewhere recently to live your life righteously and set an example for others because you never know, you could be the only bible they have ever read. Interesting, huh?

Darrell and Alissa said...

The news is depressing! That's why I don't watch anymore- I get really freaked out by all the crazies out there! I was talking to a few friends of mine yesterday and some stories like this were brought up and one of my friends really started panicking, I finally had to say something- I reminded them that we are watched over- we HAVE to have faith in the Lord! She looked at me and i thought she was going to get mad at me for preaching to her- but she said it calmed her heart and it was exactly what she needed to hear- it's hard to remember the good when there is so much bad.