Wednesday, November 18, 2009

For Health and Strength

I have recently come to understand why "thankful for my health" has made it to the top of the list.

In our stake about 8 or 9 months ago, maybe even a year, a 41 year-old woman was diagnosed with liver cancer. The prognosis was not good and she passed away last month. She left behind her husband and 5 daughters ranging in age 17- 2. Dustin was on the high council with her husband and then worked with him in Stake Young Mens. I knew her, not extremely well, but I would consider her a friend. Our daughters played together, so we would see each other outside of church.

I can't even begin to explain how my heart sank when Dustin came home and told me the bad news. I thought, "How unfair. Her baby is one. She will never have a memory of her mom. Her girls are so young!" It is then that I became extremely grateful for my own health.

How lucky I am to have a body that works properly, for the moment. I learned not to take a day for granted. I don't know when my last day on this earth will be. I must make each day count! It is important to spend the day doing what REALLY matters: loving my family, serving where I'm needed, living right.

I'm not able to say with surety that I will always have a body that is capable, but right now I do. That is why I want to live my best life today!!

2 comments:

ChicChat said...

Well, now I feel guilty about not working out the past 2 days! Better make up for it!

Jayleen said...

Have you ever seen that commercial with Sally Field, it's for osteoporosis? She says, "I've got this one body and this one life", I love that. Thanks for helping me remember what I am grateful for too! Our families rely on us to be healthy.