Wednesday, January 18, 2012

If Curiosity Killed the Cat...

where would that leave Grace?

Grace is my most observant child. Along with that, inquisitive. She always has a billion questions for me. Sometimes it's a little (a lot, I'll admit) overbearing. I guess it frustrates me because I don't have the answers, or sometimes I wonder why she cares. Is that bad? I know I need to be more patient.

The other day she asked me, "Mom, why is your hair in a ponytail?" I gave a weird face. This was a moment I was wondering why she cared. "Mom, you've never worn a ponytail before." I was still trying to answer her first question.

"Grace, I used to wear ponytails all the time. My hair is long enough to pull back now."

"Oh," is all she said. She had this look though. It seemed to be saying I was too old for a ponytail.

Today I was talking to one of my friends outside. I came in and she asked, "Mom, why are you smiling?"

"Oh, because I was talking to my friend."

"Mom, when you talk to your other friends you never smile." Sigh.

"So when I'm with this friend and this friend, you never see me smile?" What was she thinking?

"Yeah, you do, but it's different."

"Oh," was all I could say.

Her observations make me really think of how my children view me. Maybe I'm too seriuos. It would be interesting to live a day through their eyes. Especially Grace's! Maybe then I could really understand her curiosity!!

0 comments: